Sunday, June 29, 2008

Plateau or Peak?

I have heard about a term used in weigh loss called "plateauing" where after a period of weight loss, the body seems to become wise to what you are trying to do and puts your call to your skinnier self on hold for a week or two. Many people who experience this give up considering that the diet has failed and recommence their old ways.
Heaven knows I need to lose weight but that is not the subject of this post. A plateau as opposed to a peak is an eroded remainder of an ancient plain found in many places of the world but none more prevalent than the intermountain west such as the flatlands on either side of the Grand Canyon. The tiniest singular remains of plateaus are called mesas and in the metaphorical sense of the term you reach the top and it is basically flat for the remainder of the expanse.
I just got my degree as I have mentioned before and at different times I have wondered what I should do with it once I had it. Some may say that such a decision should have been made tens of thousands of dollars ago and to a point I agree. It is clear to most that any given degree could lead to may different careers and for me I had always thought of climbing the corporate ladder in the Family and Church History Department now redivided into the Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have always been so interested in Family History and how it was done but also who it affected and how easy it was to do. There are some elements that will never be strictly easy but the basics will always be there and ready for a willing heart and a ready mind.
However, I with a lot of experience in Family History and now a degree on top of eight years of experience of work in the department and two job opportunities later as well as a trial run for a few months in another section of the department and...nothing. It seems like I have alluded to metaphorically that I have plateaued. It seems to me that I still have more to do.
Peaks on the other hand are entirely different in nature. There is nothing flat about a peak. Peaks are generally up and down and as with most peaks they are made from smaller peaks. Rarely do you find a peak where the best route to the top is straight up. You reach the top of the ridge and need to hike down the other side before reaching the next higher peak. Peak then valley and peak again. Far less sedentary and far less static than a plateau.
What to do though? Am I on a plateau where I have gone as high as I am going to go or have I just been walking along a ridge rather than up it?
I feel that now I have a degree I have reached that coveted point that many others have reached before and many have followed different paths from it. However, the paths are many and diverse. I feel what I need to do is to find the "path less traveled by" as the poet says "to make all of the difference" I have a hazy view of what that road could be and if possible I may travel it. By doing so I may be able to find a place where I stand alone and appealing to those whose job it is to determine those who lead to the top of the department.
I told someone once recently that I just wanted to be a part of the work but I needed to be able to support my family as well. It is as though I see the peak I want to climb and I don't care what path to take to get there. I think I am coming to the realization that I have to care which path I take and I must choose one and follow it or remain at the relatively mediocre bottom. Once chosen, I can follow it and blaze my own path. Peak after peak until I reach the top where only God alone can bring me higher.

No comments: