Friday, June 6, 2008

Kids and Money

How many of us either in high school or College took a personal finance course? I did. I had a component of it in a civics class in high school and then about seven years ago I had another one in college. However, hids nowadays must just be better with money as it seems to come to them not only naturally, but like they have had recent education on wise spending and balancing cash flow. Who Knew?
As always I have a story behind the topic of today's post. I my wife and my seven year old son just finished a two hour long game of monopoly. I was the banker and almost directly from the outset Samuel was doing well and neither i or my wife were doing anywhere near as good. However as the game progressed, I would tell him rent amounts that he had to pony up for and he came out with exact change almost every time. He even counted it like an adult. Watching him play and make decisions was captivating at times and eventually it led to his victory. I was the first to go but as the banker I stuck around to help. Ten minutes later he had beaten my wife and he had about $7000 in cash and properties. He had trounced us and at no point after fifteen minutes in the game did I have a shred of hope of winning.
i certainly hope two things with this. If it is truly prowess I hope he keeps it and does not abuse it. If it was luck, I hope he doesn't get too bummed the first time he is killed in a game like I was. Thoughts? Feelings?

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Since I was there I know exactly what you are saying. It was fun to watch him kick our butts! I was happy for him, truly and just glad to have the game over with. He is a bad sport, though. I can only say beware to those who play against him and win for they will get a first hand look at his temper tantrums! :) He really is good though, isn't he?